Sunday, January 31, 2016

Possible Topics (Brainstorm)

1. Hans Christian Andersen
Of all the stories listed, I think I would be interested in The Little Mermaid and The Princess and the Pea. I've read a snippet of his version of The Little Mermaid and it was quite interesting and intriguing. It shows a more realistic outcome of what would have happened if this story were real, in my opinion. I have also read the happily-ever-after version of The Princess and the Pea, but not Andersen's version, so that would be interesting as well. 

Research so far: As mentioned above, I read a little snippet of The Little Mermaid, but I also found out that he wrote The Snow Queen, which is what Disney's Frozen was based off of. If I were to do a storybook, I might try to incorporate her into it somehow, even though she's not on the UnTextbook list.

The Little Mermaid (source)


My mother is a Buddhist, so when we go to temples, she would tell me little parts of his life, and how significant a particular Buddha statue is. I read a condensed version of his journey before in a religion class in high school, and am interested in learning more in-depth about it. I think there are also slightly different versions of how he encountered the three sufferings, so it would be interesting to see how different this version would be. I might even include parts of Part 2 and 3 into a storybook.

Research so far: This website is quite informational and easy to read, since it is broken up into small sections. I might use this and compare it to the UnTextbook version and see if there's any differences in the different tellings.

Buddha (source: Google)


Of the stories listed in this unit, I'd be interested in reading Sleeping Beauty's story. I have seen a summary of what actually happens, but it would informational to read more about it anyway. Other stories in the unit that are interesting are Hansel and Gretel and Rapunzel. I imagine it would be like Andersen, where this is a more realistic version of what the outcome would have been if these situations actually happened

Research so far: I haven't done much research, but did find this website that lists all (I assume) the fairy tales the brothers wrote, so I might try to incorporate some into a storybook.

Briar Rose (source: Google)


I have read small parts of this story before back in middle school in Thailand, and found it fascinating, although I never had time to read the rest of it. It's interesting to me since it's a very famous story back home even though it originated in India. I know of the main characters like Rama, Sida, and Hanuman, but it would be nice to know how they correlate with each other.

Research so far: The wikipedia page gives quite a lot of background information, and I also found this animation of the story, all the way from the beginning, although it is in Thai. I think I'd watch that after reading the story just to see it "acted out".

Hanuman (source: blogspot)


No comments:

Post a Comment