Saturday, January 23, 2016

Growth Mindset

I've never actually heard about Carol Dweck before, but her talk and studies were definitely very interesting. I like the concept of "yet". It doesn't tell someone they can't do something, but that they're just not there yet, and that it's possible to get there. The Growth Mindset is definitely something that should be taught young, since it's a bit harder to teach a new mindset when people are older.

souce: edutopia

The biggest challenge in me trying to learn new things is myself most of the time. Somehow I get the idea that I won't be able to do it, or if I can, it won't be good enough. If it is something very necessary, for example something that is needed for class (like understanding how to write specs in Systems Analysis and Design Theory), I would push myself more than if it was just for fun (like knitting).

The growth mindset is definitely something I'd be interested in learning more about. I think it would be great if I learned about it sooner, and I think it would have improved my studies quite a bit. It's a useful concept. If I learned more about it, I might try to use it to help the children at Kumon with their math since they seem to give up at the first sign of struggle.

My personal learning goal is try to get another 4.0 GPA this semester. The classes I'm excited about are this class, of course (I've been trying to get in for the past 2 years), and Art Therapy. The classes I'm worried about (for obvious reasons) are MIS Field Project and the Business Capstone.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you in that the word "yet" is really life changing. With just the word "yet" being there, your mind knows that there is still hope and a way for things to get better. It's not like there is a wall that you can't pass but you can continue to build and build your knowledge.

    I too wish that I had this mindset growing up. I didn't even notice I had a fixed mindset until I got to this portion of the assignment. Hopefully I can work on this more and more as I continue on with college. That way, I can be closer to success.

    ReplyDelete