Thursday, March 31, 2016

Week 10 Storytelling: The Robe of Light

Good morning everyone, and welcome to The Museum of Supernatural Artifact. We have a lot of cool things here, like Saturn's ring, Mars' tears, and most importantly, Sun's Robe of Light. Alright, if you guys could line up, demigods over here, fairies over there, and everyone else there. And remember, don't touch anything!

As the mismatched crowd walked through the museum, they were awed by the items they only heard in stories. While the objects were definitely cool, they were all looking forward to seeing the Robe of Light. Even though it was just a replica, it would still be amazing to see what it looked like, and learn more about it.
Dress of light (source: pinterest)
Item: Robe of Light (replica)
Origin: Earth
Date Created: Unknown
Created by: Human Woman
Last in Possession by: Sun
Background Information: The original robe, made out of the skin of small animals such as rabbits and birds, was created by a human woman. The animals were hunted by a human boy to be used as food for him and his grandmother. The grandmother sewed together this robe, which as you can see, is large and bright. It was worn by the boy when he went to spear for fish.

One day, Sun, while out following the trail in Sky Land, saw the robe. He approached the boy and asked for an exchange. Sun always wore a goatskin robe with a long fringe. The boy initially refused, but Sun convinced him. Sun dipped the fringe of his robe into the water, and fish immediately caught on. The boy accepted the exchange, and that is how Sun grew so bright.
Sun used to be pale, similar to Moon. Once he had his robes on, however, no one could look at him anymore, his robe shining too bright for the eyes.

We at the museum have tried our best to create this replica, getting the approval of its likeness from Sun himself. Sun actually mentioned that it's quite a good thing it's just a replica, since no one would be able to see the original due to its brightness. We thank him for allowing us to replicate it, and also for the donation to the museum.

Author's Note
I was having a lot of trouble coming up for ideas for this week, but thought that this could be quite cool. I followed the original story quite closely. The boy hunted for animals, the grandmother made the robe, and Sun asked for it in exchange of his own. I thought having this as an item in a museum would be cool, but since the original story was so short, it was a bit hard to come up with more stuff to write about it.

Bibliography: Why the Sun is Bright from the British North America unit.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jasmine!
    I like that you used the museum-artifact storytelling style; I don’t think I have read a story like this yet. I also think this storytelling style fits well since the robe was such a prominent aspect of the original story! I think you did a good job with this story even though the original story was short and you didn’t have much to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't tell what the first picture was at first glance but that is a very interesting dress. Your story is very unique and detailed. I like the very beginning of the story where it starts out telling people what is going to be in the story. I know it is hard sometimes to find interesting stuff to write stories about because not everyone enjoys some of the topics but the only suggestion from me would be going more in depth on your authors note. That will give the readers even more of an idea of of what they are reading. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine, I loved the way you set up your story. I wish this museum was a real thing (because it sounds so fascinating!) I love learning about the solar system and planets, therefore your story was very entertaining for me. I also couldnt tell what the picture was before I finished the story. I wish that I had a dress that looked like that... it is so beautiful! Overall, great job! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really good story! You did a great job of setting up your story! I really wish this museum was one in real life because it seems very awesome! I think outer space is very fascinating, so this was very interesting read for me. You did a really good job! Good luck the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete