Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Not-So-Fairy-Tales Styles (Brainstorm)

Not-So-Fairy-Tales Styles Brainstorm

Topic
I haven't decided if I want to do either one or the other, or make one big Storybook combining these two ideas yet.

Aurora/Briar Rose (source: tumblr)
Idea 1: The Storybook would be a compilation of some of Andersen's tales and some of the Grimm brother's (LibriVox) stories, probably the ones that Disney has made an animation about. The stories I'm considering from Andersen to appear on the Storybook include: The Princess and the Pea, The Emperor's New Suit, and The Little Mermaid. The stories I'm considering from the Grimm brother (LibriVox) include: Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, and Rapunzel.

Bibliography:

  1.  Sleeping BeautyHansel and Gretel, and Rapunzel, from Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm.
  2. The Princess and the PeaThe Emperor's New Suit, and The Little Mermaid, from Fairy Tales and Stories
Snow Queen/Elsa (source: tumblr)
Idea 2: The Storybook would be a retelling of The Snow Queen, a story of Andersen's that is significantly longer than the other. Disney's Frozen is based (loosely) from this story. The original story is already split into 7 chapters, and it would be sufficient for a Storybook.

Bibliography: The Snow Queen, from New Fairy Tales (source: wikipedia)

Possible Styles

Therapy Session/Couples Therapy
Since most of these characters go through some sort of trauma, I thought making it like a therapy session would be a good idea. They could also talk about how the prince (or the opposing character) is the one who retells the story to others, that's why the versions people usually know is happy ending. I think I might try to incorporate this to be in the present day period somehow, so that the happily-ever-after version the princes tell would spread faster and wider through social media. I might use the first POV style of writing, meaning that I am the therapist, and they are my client. Maybe in the end (or even introduction) of the story, I could say that these are what actually happened, and I'm here to spread the word. The prince would try to deny his doings, but all will be revealed in the end.

Storytelling at Hogwarts
This one would also work. Since there are statutes of secrecy and all that from the Ministry of Magic, it can be argued that we don't actually know who is a witch or wizard. I think I could write it to where one day, the topic of fairytales come up, and a Muggle-born witch (most likely) or wizard would share their versions, then discover later that all the princesses or characters are either a witch or wizard, and the other students would tell him/her the "real" version. 

Letters Home/Letters or Email
This would work for the Snow Queen idea. In the story, the boy (I don't remember his name) is taken by the Snow Queen. His friend tries looking for him until finally, years later, they meet each other again. I think I could work with this by making the letters be from the boy, trying to tell family and friends that he's fine. But what he doesn't know is that the Snow Queen intercepts all of them, wanting to keep him to herself. There could be stories from the female friend's POV too, but her letters actually get home, telling everyone of her adventures. If I decide to put this in present day period, I would use the e-mail format.

TV Talkshow
This would be similar to the therapy styles. The character would come on the talk show, discuss their side of the story (preferably on Ellen), and spread the word about what actually happened.

Diary
This would also work for both ideas. There could be variations of length depending on what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment