Friday, April 15, 2016

Week 12 Storytelling: The Cat and the Man

"Hello, it's me, Venus. For those of you who don't know, I am the Goddess of Love. I have made many people fall in love before, but for some reason, those don't end particularly well. I have about a 90% success rate when it comes to couples staying in love. I can make them fall in love just fine, but I can't figure out quite yet how to make them stay loving each other forever, which is why you have divorce in your world. I am not here to talk about my success rate though, and those of you who are thinking, 'You have been alive and doing this for forever, how couldn't you know?' There are a lot of elements when making a relationship work, alright? And it's complicated.... Which leads me to the tale I have for you today.

"One day, this beautiful cat came to me, asking for me to change her into a human, so that she can marry a human man. It was already an odd request to start with, and I did wonder how she fell in love with the man. Turns out this man has been feeding her, taking care of her when he can, and recently just rescued her from the side of the street. She fell in love with his kindness and wants to marry him!

"I tried to explain to her, I did, that me changing her form wouldn't change anything else. Everything about her would still remain the same. She didn't care, only as long as she was a human. So I helped her out.
Wedding (source: ruffledblog.com)
"The couple met each other as humans and instantly hit it off. They soon got engaged and were set to marry... Nothing could go wrong. I was quite ready to run my data again to recalculate my success rate, when a disaster happened on their wedding night.

"Everything was going very smoothly. The ceremony went off without a hitch, the selected food were great, the band was awesome, and everyone was having a good time. Somehow, this mouse made it past the pest control and started running around the venue! Now, when I told her that me changing her into a human won't change anything, that included her basic instinct.

"What would you do if, on the day of your wedding, you see a mouse run by, and a split second later your wife is out of her seat, chasing the mouse around the venue, finally caught it, and devoured it right there in front of everybody?

"Sadly, my recalculated success rate is 94%. That darn cat."

Author's Note
I based my story off of one of Aesop's fables, which was short, so I had quite a bit of expanding to do. In the original story, this cat goes to Venus to asked to be changed into a human so she can marry the man. Venus does it, and on their wedding night there was a mouse, which the cat/human the proceeded to chase. The man broke it off afterwards. It was easier to expand on this than the Robe of Light story (Week 10), and I had quite a bit more fun with it. The man still ended up breaking off the marriage after seeing his wife eat a rat.... I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to change that haha.

Bibliography: This story can be found in the Aesop's Fables (English) Unit, under The Gods chapter.

2 comments:

  1. Haha Jasmine, I absolutely love your stories. They are always so clever and funny. Can you image that you added be my wedding please! It is so pretty! I also like how you added your statistics in there haha. You are a true MIS major. Obviously, I have not read this story, but you made me really want to read it! It seems pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine! This was such an original story--you really made it yours, what with having Venus narrate it and giving her such a vibrant and distinct personality. I read somewhere once that having multiple people who are really set in their goals and ways in a story makes for really good comedy, and you certainly did that here--I hope that at some point Venus figures out how to help people STAY in love, and the fact that the cat-turned-woman is still really just a cat was an interesting addition. The only thing I was wishing for more of was more details of how Venus didn't quite get the cat traits out of her. But awesome job!

    ReplyDelete